Thursday 23 April 2020

LIFESTYLE | COMPOST INSPIRATION


Does everyone compost?  
This might be a crazy thought, But I'm sure there's a percentage that still doesn't.  It's hard to believe that I only started composting in 2011!  Looking back, I should have started earlier because it's so easy and the earth benefits in so many ways.  
I hope this post will inspire those that live in dwellings with some kind of land.  Townhouse, Duplex, Detached Homes and even Condo's.  The condo I lived in had a beautiful greenbelt and surrounding land that could have benefited from a large compost bin when I was living there.


When we moved into The Lakefront Cottage back in November the property came with its own 280-L domestic compost bin.  The city girl that I am was overwhelmed with the idea of learning how to compost in this way. Especially with everything else going on to move into our new home with unpacking and renovating.  
Living in a condo, I was used to putting my compost into a friendly brown bag and walking it down to a heated garbage room into a clean compost bin.  This luxury doesn't exist in a small community as everyone here owns outdoor compost bins...It's totally hardcore!  Well, not really.  But, when I first moved here I would overhear people talking compost talk and I was such a fish out of water in this department!


I am not an expert yet, But I'll share with you what I've learned so far!


STEP ONE
Purchase a Domestic Compost Bin.  


STEP TWO
Re-use plastic containers that have lids for your compost. I am using a plastic spinach container because it's bigger in size and fits great in the fridge.  Note - do not compost fat, bones and meat.

STEP THREE
Separate your coffee grounds or tea leaves into their own container.  It's ok to add a tea bag made of paper not the silk like kind.  If it's silk, I cut the bag and empty it into the container.  Paper coffee filters are also ok to add.



STEP FOUR
Find a bucket or bin with a handle you may already have.  I have a hard plastic bucket that was used to wash the cars.  This bucket is for collecting dry leaves, dry grasses and dry smaller branches.  I avoid anything green and alive still, it has to be dry.



STEP FIVE
Compost in layers.  I place my compost (food) first.  Spread it around and then sprinkle coffee grounds and/or tea leaves over top of the food.  This will help eliminate odors.


STEP SIX
Sprinkle a bucket or two of the dry leaves, grasses and branches that you've collected over top of the compost.  Every week or two mix the layered compost around.  I fold it lightly like you would when you fold egg whites into a batter.

A great tip that my brother gave me was to collect any live worms that you find and add them to your compost bin.  They're great buddies in helping eat your compost! 



How do you compost?  If you have any tips that you'd like to share, please leave a comment below.  
-happy composting!
Photography by Jennifer Kucherka

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.