Wednesday 8 April 2020

DECOR | THE COTTAGE GALLERY WALL


I completed the Gallery Wall back in February.  I was waiting to get the walls painted before posting this story on The Blog.  But, I have a hard time with sharing photos that aren't perfect (what's that? lol!) or completed to 100%.  Lately the uneasiness of the world right now has really kicked me in the ass to JUST DO IT and post my stories on The Blog.  Call it embracing the 'perfect imperfect' movement!!  I could get used to this!
I hope you enjoy!


GALLERY WALL TUTORIAL - 3 EASY STEPS

My approach for the gallery wall was real simple.  I collected all my framed artwork and canvases.  I didn't concern myself with art placement because I picked pieces that had colour cohesion with oranges and gold. This way I wasn't hung up on 'this artwork needs to be beside this piece' and so on.  I left the placement up to random chance.  Believe me, it works everytime!! 

STEP ONE
Trace all your framed art and canvases from floor protector paper.  
I purchased mine from Home Depot.  I used leftovers from the move.  This paper has a nice thickness and super forgiving when moving it around a thousand times.



STEP TWO
Attach each piece of traced paper to the wall with masking tape.  Move the paper around until a natural line is formed like below.  


Create a line with the artwork edges, this adds a clean look.

STEP THREE
When you're happy with placement, use the paper to help hang the art.  Mount hardware and peel the paper away.
Don't be afraid to install artwork low and close to the floor.  This adds a gallery vibe and makes your ceilings appear taller!


I decided to remove the three prints from the top because a ceiling beam was to be installed.




Here's the ceiling beam I mentioned.  It was added to hide the shiplap seam, but I'll leave this for another post!


Don't forget to tag me on Instagram to show us what you've come up with for your own gallery wall and I'll repost it!

Photography by Jennifer Kucherka

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.